3.29.2006

Completely Random

Sooner or later I’m going to get hit by a car, or bitten, or cited for trespassing...all because of my gut reaction to random pets scampering about on the sides of highways (or in my yard). In the past two years, I have rescued four stray dogs, three feral cats (all now spayed or placed in homes), attempted to rescue about two or three more dogs which had the speed or agility to evade me, and cared for about five other outdoor cats (and the kittens they propagate) that I just can’t afford to do more than feed. Yesterday, I found myself pulled over on the side of a busy road at 5:15 PM, again, trying to catch or chase away a cat (with a collar on) that was about to walk up onto the highway from the exit ramp. It ran away...in the right direction, at least. The last time I did this, it was a big black dog that really didn’t look too friendly, but he seemed to think the road was the best place to be, and I was at least going to make him think otherwise. I almost stopped in the middle of a business trip with my boss, in a town I didn’t know, just because a big Husky was walking along the side of the highway. I don’t think ahead to what I’ll do once I get these animals in my car. I just hope they’ll be happy for a ride to PAWS, and won’t proceed to bite the back of my head while I’m driving. I’ve been late to things because of this habit. I think I watch too much Animal Cops.

(and now for something completely unrelated...)

I was exhausted by 8 PM yesterday, and was trying to write, but found myself falling asleep instead. So I finished up some notes, and went to bed early. Why does this always lead to wicked dreams? Something about an underground labyrinth of playful passageways, with marble slides and conveniently placed washing machines, and the whole thing was filled with about 5 feet of crystal blue water and well lit, enough that you could swim through it all...like a refreshing sparkling underground pool...and after swimming naked back and forth through this crazy place, the machines were very useful for washing the bathing suit that I hadn’t used. There were other people around, too...random people, and friends, but that was neither significant nor a reason for discomfort. I’ve had these dreams before, but these tunnels of water were always dark and dangerous...and one, for the longest time, I was convinced I’d been to in reality before. I’m sure it doesn’t really exist, but I’m still positive I’ve been there.

I love our subconscious minds.

No comments: